Go back to blog homepage

How to become a Registered Migration Agent

Written by on with 7 comments

In Australia, all migration agents must be registered with the Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA). In this post ImmiAdvisor’s outlines how to become an Australian Registered Migration Agent.

To become a Registered Migration Agent (RMA), you must:

  1. Be 18 years of age or over; and
  2. Obtain a National Police Certificate from the Australian Federal Police; and
  3. Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen with a special category visa; and
  4. Hold a current legal practising certificate issued by an Australian body or a Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law and Practice; and
  5. Meet the English language requirement; and
  6. Hold professional indemnity insurance for the period you are registered; and
  7. Maintain your own professional library (either LexisNexis Australian Immigration Law or LegendCom); and
  8. Provide a passport size photo on initial registration (and then again every 5 years); and
  9. Pay the application fee (and renewal); and
  10. Meet your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) obligations in the 12 months before you apply to re-register. If you are an accountant, accredited specialist, solicitor or registered with the New Zealand Immigration Advisers Authority you may be exempt from some points.

If you wish to study the Graduate Certificate, the following four universities offer the course:

  1. Australian National University
  2. Griffith University
  3. Murdoch University
  4. Victoria University

The graduate certificate is a 6-month course. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent is a prerequisite.

You cannot become a registered migration agent if

  1. You have been refused registration within 12 months of applying; or
  2. You have had a previous registration cancelled within 5 years of applying; or
  3. Have previously been barred from registering unless the barred period has expired; or
  4. Have had a previous registration suspended unless the suspension has expired.

For more information, visit OMARA.

If you would like ImmiAdvisor to blog about a specific topic please email sapna@immiadvisor.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this post/blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon any information contained on or omitted from this post/blog/website.


  1. Avatar

    Good afternoon, I would like to obtain information on how to become an immigration agent. I have been reading the information online but I do not see the application form. Please advise me on how to print the application form.

    Many thanks,

  2. Avatar

    I am a newly admitted solicitor and was wondering how I can become a Migration Agent aswell?

    What is the cost and how long does it take?

    Thanks in advance.


Leave a comment