Go back to blog homepage

The ultimate guide for engineering grads applying for a graduate visa

Written by on with 3 comments

Are you an overseas engineering graduate who finished an engineering course in the last two years? You may then be eligible to gain a temporary visa to Australia for 18 months. This visa is Subclass 476- Skilled-Recognised Graduate visa.

Who is eligible to apply for a Skilled-Recognised Graduate Visa?

This program applies to you if:

  • you are younger than 31 years
  • you have completed an eligible engineering qualification from a recognised institution in the past two years
  • you have not held a Skilled — Recognised Graduate visa (Subclass 476) or a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) before (unless you were a dependent family member)
  • you can have enough English language ability- overall score of 6 IELTS or 5 minimum in each of the IELTS Band (or equivalent in other tests).
  • you meet health and character requirements.

Eligible Engineering Qualifications

The qualifications recognised include a Bachelor degree, a Master degree, Doctoral degree or postgraduate diploma. The majors in engineering that are recognised include:

Civil engineering
Structural engineering
Chemical engineering
Environmental engineering
Electrical and electronics engineering
Mechanical, production and plant engineering
Mining and material engineering

What is a recognised institution?

Your degree has to be awarded from a recognised institution in order to be eligible for this visa. The legislation detects what is a recognised institution and that is why it is always important to check the up to date information/immigration regulations and policies prior to applying.

Currently the recognised institutions include:

  • Any institution offering an Engineering qualification under the Washington Accord-
  • Any other recognised institution:
Country Institution
Argentina Catholic University of Argentina
Brazil Federal University of Minas Gerais
Chile Universidad Catolica del Norte Catholic University of Chile -Antofagasta

University of Chile

University of Concepcion

Finland HUT, Helsinki
Germany RWTH, Aachen

Technical University of Berlin

Technical University of Clausthal

TU Bergakademie Freiberg

University of Hannover

Hungary University of Miskolc
India Anna University—Chennai

Banaras Hindu University—Varanasi

Indian Institute of Science—Bangalore

Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur

Indian School of Mines—Dhanbad

Iran Amir Kabir University of Technology

University of Tehran

PRC China Beijing Normal University

Beijing Petroleum University

Beijing University of Chemical Technology

Beijing University of Technology (formerly Beijing Polytechnic University)

China University of Mining & Technology—Beijing

Guangzhou University

Shanghai University of Engineering Science

Shanghai Jiaotong University

Tongji University

Tsinghua University

University of Science and Technology—Beijing

Philippines University of the Philippines
Poland Wroclaw University of Technology
Slovakia TU Kosice
Sweden Lulea University of Technology
Tanzania University of Dar es Salaam

What is Washington Accord?

The Washington accord is an international agreement for accreditation of undergraduate engineering degrees in the participating/signatory countries. So if your qualification was accredited by an engineering body in a signatory country, your degree will be recognised for minimum entry to practice engineering by the other countries in the Washington Accord. If your engineering qualification was offered by a university under the Washington Accord, you may want to consider applying for the skilled recognised graduate visa if you meet the other criteria. Engineers Australia is part of the Washington Accord so if you completed an Engineering degree in Australia you may be eligible for this visa too.

Accredited Programs under the Washington Accord

  • EA – (Engineers Australia)
  • Engineers Canada – (Engineers Canada)
  • IEET – (Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan)
  • HKIE – (The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers)
  • EngIRE – (Engineers Ireland)
  • JABEE – (Japan Accreditation Board for Engineering Education)
  • ABEEK – (Accreditation Board for Engineering Education of Korea)
  • IPENZ – (Institution of Professional Engineers NZ)
  • IES – (Institution of Engineers Singapore)
  • ECSA – (Engineering Council of South Africa)
  • ECUK – (Engineering Council UK)
  • ABET – (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology)
  • Malaysia – (Board of Engineers, Malaysia)
  • MUDEK – (Association for Evaluation and Accreditation of Engineering Programs)
  • AEER – Association for Engineering Education of Russia
  • IESL – Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka
  • NBA – National Board of Accreditation India

Useful tips if you are interested in Skilled recognised graduate visa

  • Seek legal advice before lodging your application.
  • You can include your family in your application even your de facto partner.
  • You may apply for other onshore applications once you are in Australia on this visa.
  • You and your family can live, work and study anywhere in Australia on this visa.
  • Lodge a valid application by posting your application to the correct DIBP office.
  • You must be outside of Australia at the time your visa is granted.

About the authors

This article was written by Marial Lewis.

If you would like ImmiAdvisor to blog about a specific topic please email sapna@immiadvisor.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon any information contained on or omitted from this blog/website.


Marial Lewis

Marial is an accredited specialist lawyer in Immigration Law and a multi-award…


  1. Avatar

    Hello im from srilanka i have to apply for graduate 476 visa for australia i have listed IESL – Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka could you please help me with the list on how to find my institute

  2. Avatar


    Will NAAC accreditation from India comes under Washington Accord? or The universities which comes under this accreditation, will it be consider as a Recognised Institution for Australia 476 Visa? Is there anyone to help me with it?

    Thanks Guys!

  3. Avatar

    Tharindu de Alwis

    Can graduate from Sri Lanka apply for 476 – if so what is the approved institution. I am a mechanical engineering graduate from Sri Lanka 26 years old. with a second class


Reply To Ram

Cancel Reply