Go back to blog homepage

Driving in New South Wales (NSW)

Written by on with 0 comments


If you hold an overseas licence and are on a temporary visa, then you are considered to be a visitor. You are able to drive in NSW indefinitely, but you must:

  • remain a temporary overseas visitor
  • ensure that your overseas licence remains current
  • not have been disqualified from driving in NSW or anywhere else
  • carry your overseas licence, plus an English translation of your overseas licence if it is not in English, OR an International Driving Permit

Alternatively, you can apply for a NSW licence as a temporary overseas visitor if you are planning to stay in NSW for more than three months, or if you can not comply with the conditions listed above.

Permanent Residents

If you are on a permanent resident visa, then you are not considered to be a visitor. You can drive in NSW on your current overseas licence for a maximum of three months from the date you arrive in NSW. If you are staying in NSW for more than three months, you must apply for a NSW licence.

Note that if you are a New Zealand licence holder, regardless of whether you are a visitor or you are a permanent resident, you must obtain a NSW licence within three months of living in NSW.

For more information, please visit http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-nsw.html 

If you would like ImmiAdvisor to blog about a specific topic please email sapna@immiadvisor.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon any information contained on or omitted from this blog/website.


Leave a comment