Go back to blog homepage

Driving in Australia

Written by on with 0 comments

Because Australia is a federation made up of 6 states (New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia) and 2 territories ( Australian Capital Territory and Northern Territory) which are all independently governed, you must follow each state’s own driving and licensing rules.

In some states, you need to carry an International Driving Permit as well as your current foreign licence. In other states, you need to carry an official translation of your current foreign license in English as well as your foreign licence. An official translation means that it has been certified by an Embassy or a Consulate or by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) or an Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators (AUSIT) accredited institute.

In all states and territories except Northern Territory, you are allowed to drive in Australia using your current foreign licence. You must only drive the types of vehicles authorised by your overseas license and drive according to the conditions allowed by your overseas license.

Click the links to find out the rules and regulations for each state:

Australian Capital City (ACT)

New South Wales (NSW)

Northern Territory (NT)

Queensland (QLD)

South Australia (SA)

Tasmania (TAS)

Victoria (VIC)

West Australia (WA)

If you would like ImmiAdvisor to blog about a specific topic please email sapna@immiadvisor.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon any information contained on or omitted from this blog/website.


Leave a comment