Go back to blog homepage

5 FAQs for student visa holders wanting to work in Australia

Written by on with 0 comments

1. Can you work in Australia on a student visa?

– Yes

2. Who does this apply to?

– Applies to both the student and any dependent family members travelling with them on their student visa whose visa was granted on or after 26 April 2008.

3. What if my visa was granted before 26 April 2008?

– You can apply for permission to work after you have commenced your course in Australia.

4. What are the conditions?

– Students are not allowed to work until they have started their course.

– Students can only work up to 40 hours a fortnight while their course is in session. Some exclusions apply e.g. any work undertaken as a registered component of their course of study or training) or if they are a subclass 574 visa holder.

– However, students are able to work unlimited hours when their course is not in session.

5. How is a fortnight calculated?

– 14 days commencing on any Monday and ending on the second following Sunday.

If you would like ImmiAdvisor to blog about a specific topic please email sapna@immiadvisor.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ImmiAdvisor recommends you obtain your own independent immigration, legal, accounting, financial or taxation advice as appropriate. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all information provided through this blog/website. In no event will ImmiAdvisor Pty Ltd be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon any information contained on or omitted from this blog/website.

Leave a comment